Saturday 17 January 2015

Book Review: Angelfall

Title: Angelfall
Author: Susan Ee
Year of Publication: 2011
Summary:  It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

Review:  Angelfall had me hooked me from the very beginning. Even when I wanted so desperately to put the book down and walk away from it as far as I could, it held me in an iron vice. As much as that sounds like a bad thing, it is the same thing that makes this book so real in my memory a couple of days after the fact.

Simply put, this book was disconcerting as all heck. And it was intended to be this way. Gone are the days of simply being scared of angels because of Doctor Who - nope, now I have a new reason to be absolutely terrified. Ee’s angels are not fluffy do-gooders (though they are hot), they are monsters.

The character of Penryn and her family are blessings of the YA genre. They are not damsels in distress - her mother is schizophrenic, her sister is disabled, and Penryn herself manages to keep her wits about her even in the face of a swoony shirtless potential love interest.

It has been a while since I was desperately in need of a sequel, but now I am desperate to get my hands on a copy of World After (Penryn & The End of Days book #2). It’s actually astounding that even though this book was published in 2011 I had not heard of it until this year. It is a book that I think must be read by everyone. It is a wonder that it has not been made into a film or a mini-series yet - I could see this series becoming as big as say, The Hunger Games.

This book is fully deserving of the five stars I am giving it. Definitely a must-read for everybody, especially those who enjoyed titles such as The Hunger Games, the Maze Runner, Cinder, and The Mortal Instruments.

Rating: 5/5 stars
★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment